The MAX trains run about every 15 minutes most of the day, every day.
Note: Some lines stop operating at 1:00 am and do not start again until 4:00 or 5:00 am, so be sure to check the schedule if you are out late at night!
Around town – MAX has 5 lines, all of which run through downtown Portland and head out to the suburbs.
- Yellow Line – connects the Expo Center, North and Northeast Portland, Portland City Center and Portland State University.
- Red Line – connects Airport, Portland City Center and Beaverton.
- Blue Line – connects Hillsboro, Beaverton, Portland City Center, East Portland and Gresham.
- Green Line – connects Clackamas, Portland City Center and Portland State University.
- Orange Line – connects Union Train Station, Portland City Center, Portland State University and Milwaukie.
HOW TO RIDE MAX
- You must have a validated ticket, bus transfer receipt or pass before boarding MAX. Ticket machines and validators are located at the station. There are no fare boxes on-board MAX. Before boarding, buy your ticket from a ticket machine or with the mobile ticketing app — or validate your previously purchased ticket in the validator located near the ticket machine. A validated ticket is your proof of payment, good for two hours on MAX, buses and the Portland Streetcar. (Full-day tickets are also available.) Keep your ticket until you have completed your trip. Note: MAX ticket machines return change in coins, so small bills are recommended. If you have a TriMet pass or bus transfer receipt, just board MAX and have a seat. (Check the expiration time at the top of your transfer; you may board until that time.)
- Signs at the station indicate where to wait and when the next train is due. Signs on the front of each train identify the line (Blue, Green, Red, Orange or Yellow) and destination.
- MAX stops at every station, so you don’t need to signal the operator to get on or off. The station name is announced before each stop and appears on a reader board overhead.
- Some lines stop operating at 1:00 am and do not start again until 4:00 or 5:00 am, so be sure to check the schedule if you are out late at night!